Cannabis cultivators know that there are different ways to get the results that they want, one of them is choosing the seed that will work best for your garden. With all the different types of cannabis seeds available in the market, you might ask what the difference between feminized seeds vs regular seeds is. And we’re here to tell you more about that.
So before you go on and start purchasing the cannabis seeds for your garden, make sure you fill yourself up with this valuable information. These will be beneficial if you’re a beginner grower or someone looking for other types of cannabis seeds to grow.
What are Regular Cannabis Seeds?
These are the standard marijuana seeds that came from both a male and a female plant that has the possibility to produce both male and female offspring. Using this type of seed makes it virtually impossible to tell if a regular seed will become a male or female later.
What are Feminized Cannabis Seeds?
These are the seeds that have been modified to ensure that the seeds and plants will become female in the future. These are produced using two female cannabis plants. The reason why it’s called feminized and not female is that they aren’t truly female and should not be sold with such label. Be aware of companies that say 100% female because this is nothing more than a marketing ploy.
Feminized Seeds Vs Regular Seeds: Knowing their Differences
In order to pick the seeds that would be best for your cannabis cultivation, we present to you the differences of feminized seeds vs regular seeds that you might not be aware of.
- Regular Cannabis Seeds are produced when a male cannabis plant pollinates a female cannabis plant. That is why it’s called regular seeds because it underwent the natural process of fertilization. The male pollen is released from ripe pollen sacs and blown by the wind or it can be transferred by the breeder until it goes into the receptive stigmas in female flowers.
These type of fertilization results in hundreds, if not thousands regular cannabis seeds which can be both male and female cannabis plants.
2. The Feminized cannabis seed looks exactly like a regular cannabis seed. But look inside the modest brown husk and you will see the crucial difference. This type of cannabis seeds lacks male chromosomes, while the regular cannabis seeds contain the full complement of genetics that enables them to be male or female.
3. The ratio for a male to female growth with regular seeds is around 1 to 1. But if you start growing, it will be best to assume that 50% of the seeds will end up female. So it’s best that you germinate a few extra seeds to make up for all the males that will be discarded during the early flowering period. By doing this, you are ensuring yourself that you have a good number to seeds to fertilize and they will produce both male and female.
4. Feminized cannabis seeds are bred specifically to eliminate male chromosomes, thus ensuring that every crop is going to be female. If you’re looking for fast and simple cultivation, using the feminized seeds are perfect.
5. Females plants that came from regular seeds are better qualified to function as mother plants for cloning. Some even consider the quality of the buds to be better than any other types of seeds. Growers who prefer strong crosses or amazing hybrids use the regular seeds rather than the feminized seeds.
6. The chances of getting a hermie or a hermaphrodite are greater among feminized cannabis plants. This can be since male plants might be in the same room as feminized plants and they have accidentally pollinated them. Certain conditions that will bring stress to the cannabis plant also increases the tendency of becoming a hermaphrodite. A hermaphrodite plant is not really considered to be of great value because of the buds it produces, thus it’s disposed of immediately.
7. The regular cannabis seeds are preferred in the cloning technique. This is the process of producing crops in uniform and just like in breeding, it’s best done with plants that have the full set of chromosomes and the robust qualities that go with that. Growers also used regular seeds if they want a certain trait to be mixed with another trait to ensure that crossbreeding is successful.
8. Feminized seeds are generally more expensive than the regular cannabis seeds. The prices can even be more than 2-4 times than that of the regular seed. And once the seed has been planted, the overall cost will increase as well, you will need to think of nutrients and other factors.
9. The regular seeds can be ‘sexed’ indoors so that the male plants can be separated out prior to planting. Unlike for the feminized plants that all male plants should be kept away from day 1 up until harvest time.
10. If you’re into producing a great number of seeds and not really looking for the quality, the feminized cannabis seeds might just be the seeds for you. This type of seed will keep on producing a female offspring that will lead to producing female buds and then seeds. It can be endless, you just need to know what results you want. However, for a good-quality taste that affects the appearance, breeding, and taste you can opt to go with the regular ones.
Now there you have it, the 10 differences that you might not know about feminized and regular seeds. Growing these types of seeds can be challenging since you will need to consider a lot of factors such as light, water, moisture and the environment where you’ll place the plant.
Just make sure that you read on first before starting your own marijuana garden. Remember regular seeds are good for crossbreeding and cloning while feminized seeds are good for getting a higher number of yield.